Whether you’re just starting your self-love journey or a seasoned pro, sometimes we all need to remind ourselves of some basics and look for little ways to integrate them into our daily routine.
Here are 20 easy ways to add some self-love to today:
1. Move your body for 5 minutes (if you’re able to). It doesn’t matter how you move it, as long as it makes you feel good. Dance, walk, shimmy, jump, run, tumble, stretch… do it for 5 consecutive minutes or break it into smaller blocks. Just move in ways that make your body and mind come alive, and marvel at the miracle that is YOU!
2. Set yourself a small goal that you can achieve today. No “all or nothing” thinking, no failure/success… just a small goal that will enrich your day. Maybe it’s drinking an extra glass of water or making sure to smile at yourself in the mirror as you wash your hands. Every small act of self-kindness counts.
3. When you scroll past a page/person in your social media feeds that makes you cringe with negativity, unfollow them! And don’t feel guilty about it, either – you are the master editor of your life and you are entitled to audit the people and outlets that you surround yourself with.
4. Pick a favourite fruit, and eat it. If you’re not much of a fruit eater, come up with ways to incorporate it into your day that will make you happy. Raspberries in a smoothie, a slice of orange with your cup of coffee and dark chocolate… every fruit is awesome! As you eat it, note how alive it makes your body feel as it slides over your tastebuds.
5. Pick a favourite veggie, and eat it. Get creative here – raw broccoli in your salad! Peas in your pasta! Carrot and hummus as a mid-afternoon snack. Don’t all those nutrients make you feel amazing?
6. Take a deep breath. Feel the air moving into your lungs and down into your chest, and up into your mind. As you draw in your breath, think about something that you love about yourself today. Anything, no matter how small, counts.
7. Make time for doing at least one thing that you love just for the sake of it. Even if you can only clear 2 minutes of your day, even if it’s just singing in the shower… do at least one thing just for you. You deserve it!
8. Go outside and give your eyes a break from staring at a screen. Trust me on this.
9. Document a moment when you feel good about yourself. Take a selfie, write it down… just record it. Because those moments matter, and you deserve to be reminded of them!
10. Make a conscious effort to check in with yourself. Ask yourself how you’re feeling and what you need to make your day even better, then act accordingly.
11. At some point in the day, allow yourself to stop and just be. And feel content with doing nothing for a few minutes.
12. Stand up for yourself and what you believe in. Even if it’s as simple as kindly disagreeing with your coworker that Game Of Thrones is the best show on TV, you’re allowed to acknowledge your own interests. You are not required to blindly agree with everyone else in order to be liked and respected.
13. Be honest. When someone asks you how your day was, tell them honestly – give them the truth and let your feelings be free – don’t just give them the old “Fine thanks, how’re you?” crap.
14. Recognise when you have a self-judging thought. Then allow yourself to notice it and move past it without beating yourself up about it. You judged yourself – it’s okay. Allow yourself to move on and keep loving yourself.
15. Eat a food that you love, and eat it mindfully. Taste every bite going into your mouth, savour the moment and truly enjoy it!
16. You know that song that makes you feel unstoppable? Play it! Dance around to it, scream the lyrics at the top of your lungs… allow yourself to react to the music in a way that feels intrinsic to you.
17. At the end of the day, pay yourself one compliment (or more!). What did you do well today?
18. Find something to look forward to in the near future, and think of the joy that it will bring you. Remind yourself that you deserve to feel happy, and how important it is to engage in activities that make you feel wonderful!
19. Ask yourself how you can practice even greater self-love tomorrow. Set a small goal to help you work towards this.
20. Go to sleep 5 minutes earlier than you think you need to. 5 minutes can make a world of difference, and you need your rest to keep your beautiful mind and body thriving!